Workplace Investigations and Fact-Finding
The Gould Firm also offers Employers and Business Independent workplace investigation services.
When complaints are made of improper, illegal or unethical conduct within or relating to your organization you must take such matters seriously and conduct a prompt, thorough and independent investigation. Internal investigations, even when complete, will always be questioned as biased and the conclusions viewed as self-serving. It is almost always beneficial to secure an independent investigator for a such matters. The Gould Firm has experience with investigations and fact-finding in the areas of alleged sexual harassment, discrimination, bullying, retaliation, insubordination, work place violence, job performance, misuse of company property, misuse/abuse of leave policies and more.
Attorney Evan A. Gould is well versed in the best practices for workplace investigations and takes great efforts to investigate a clients’ workplace issue in a discrete, timely and confidential manner. When requested we provide employers and businesses with a detailed summary of all investigatory efforts and findings, along with a well-written and documented investigative report to help employers and businesses make informed decisions and document the fact they acted promptly and took the complaint or concern seriously. Attorney Evan A. Gould is also well suited to assess the liability associated with such findings and make recommendations as to best deal with the risk or liability associated with such findings.
The most common claims that demand prompt and thorough investigation include:
- Sexual harassment and “Quid pro quo” Claims
- Hostile Work Environment Claims
- Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation claims based on Race, National Origin and Ethnicity
- Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation claims based on Age, Disability, and Gender
- Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation claims based on Religion, Marital Status, and Sexual Preference
- Claims alleging a Failure to Provide Reasonable Accommodation for a disability covered under the ADA and FEHA
- Claims alleging a Failure to Engage in the Interactive Process as required under the ADA and FEHA
- Whistleblower Claims
- Allegations of Employee Fraud, Ethical violations and Embezzlement
- Workplace Violence, Insubordination and abuse of drugs and alcohol
- Denial of overtime, rest breaks and meal periods
- Hostile and or abusive work environment and Bullying
For most employers and businesses it is not a matter of IF an employee will report a complaint, it is simply a matter of WHEN. A prompt and thorough investigation will help an employer or business to uncover and remedy a disruptive, illegal or potentially dangerous situation and will also be in a better position to defend itself if necessary. A shoddy investigation, or worse, no investigation, can exacerbate problems in the workplace, have a negative impact on employee morale, and expose an employer or business to liability for the acts of its employees and for its own failure to prevent or address such issues. Contact the Gould Firm today if you need assistance with a workplace investigation or assessment.